Western Friend logo

Hartsoughs’ Annual Letter to the IRS

Published: May 22, 2021


Dear Friends,

Thought you would be interested in our letter to the IRS refusing to pay 53% of our taxes which go for war and killing our fellow human beings around the planet.

Peace, David and Jan Hartsough


May 17, 2021

Dear Friends at the IRS,

We are Quakers and cannot in conscience pay for the killing of other human beings, or pay for war and preparations for war. Human life is too precious to drop bombs on people because we do not like their governments. Developing a new generation of nuclear weapons which could put an end to life on our beautiful planet is immoral and insane. Giving the Pentagon hundreds of billions of dollars does not increase the security of our people when we are cutting funds for schools, libraries, job training, diplomacy work at the State Department.

The wars in Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Yemen and elsewhere, and increased use of drones have NOT increased our security, but rather have created more enemies of the United States. Our tax dollars are also being used to prepare for wars with Russia, Iran, North Korea and China which could easily, by accident or intention, become a nuclear war which could kill billions of people.  Let’s end the “war on terror” and all wars and bring our tax dollars home to meet the needs of the American people.

Fifty-three percent of everyone’s tax dollars go for wars and preparations for wars. Together with our IRS Form, we are sending a check for 47% of what we owe made out to the Dept. of Health and Human Services.   We ask that you designate all those funds for health, education and human well-being – and NONE for war and killing. The other 53% which goes for war and killing we are contributing to organizations working for peace and justice, and programs meeting human and environmental needs in the US and around the world.

Instead of paying for war and killing, we are joining together with others to build what Martin Luther King called the “Beloved Community.”  We hope and pray that all the taxes from people worldwide can go for schools, good health care, food and housing for all people on earth which will help create a healthy planet for our children and all future generations.

Sincerely, David and Janet Hartsough